Software RAID 1 boot procedure hangs after reset

Hi there,
i have a debian sarge system with kernel 2.6.6. After a hard reset the
boot process hangs at recognising/ mounting the root file system, but says
he can start /dev/mdX with 2 out of 2 disks.
The error message is:
 pivot_root: No such file or directory
    /sbin/init: 424: cannot open dev/console: no such file
Exactly the same as
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2004/08/msg01301.html.
I am using a initrd with sata and raid1 modules.
The filesystem is fd (linux raid autodetect) and autofs is compiled into
the kernel.
I tried the debian default kernel (2.6.3) and he detects a corrupted raid
(starting with 1 out of 2 devices) and gives another error message.
I repaired it by using dd and an old image of the root filesystem. But i
do not understand the big picture here. Why does one kernel detect a fully
synchronised raid and the other kernel doesn´t?
Actually it happened twice and the first time there was some message that
some filesystem has been mounted too many times and needs a check, after
that the system started normally. But before this messages he couldn´t
find the root fs. A friend of mine pointed to me that the wait time of the
kernel to autodetect the fs is/ was probably too short.
In general i googled for some information about the problem but couldn´t
find a good resource. Every howto explains how to set up software raid,
but no one explains how to repair a corrupted root fs.

jan@         _ __
                                    /___/
--
"Dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire" --Robert Frost

-