From: linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark Hahn
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 2:48 PM
To: BO MOON
Cc: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Raid0 or Raid1 READ performance

> I am expecting the faster performance on READ than WRITE because of
> parallel read from disks more than 2(2 for RAID1, 3 for RAID0) at the
> same time.

if I understand your description, each of your tests involves either
reading or writing from a single disk (and also writing/reading a raid.)
such tests will always run at the speed of the slowest disk,
presumably the single one.  for instance,

    cp /some-2-disk-raid0/file /other-single-disk/

will be limited by the write speed of other-single-disk,
and not the raid.

    cp /other-single-disk/file /some-2-disk-raid0/

is similar, though now it's the reading from a single disk which
is the bottleneck.

> Any suggestion or opinion?

test bandwidth with something more reasonable than time cp.
even "time dd if=/disk-to-read-from of=/dev/zero bs=64k"
is more sensible.

regards, mark hahn.

-

-