how to verify integrity / stability?

Are there scripts that someone may have written already to verify that a raid array is functioning properly--data in == data out? I've been running bonnie++ on it, but that doesn't seem to have an option to verify contents read == contents written (or is that implicit).

I bring this up because a long time ago I discovered on my own that there was a bug in the ATA VFS driver that would occasionally double-write a byte, if memory serves, if you used certain revisions of the VIA chipset together in an "md". History: I brought this up to the ATA maintainer, who immediately assessed me as an idiot for daring to think that maybe /dev/hdx is functionally equivalent to /dev/hdy. ~2.4.10ish I believe.. So now I don't trust anything.

Before I did this by copying an entire DVD rip, 8 gig, multiple times until the array was filled, then compute the md5 sum for each, including the source. You could reliably find one that had the "blip"... but I never automated it. Has anyone written a script to automate this task?