RE: Good news / bad news - The joys of RAID

Yes, I was going for affordable!  A tape drive with native capacity of 160
Gig costs over $2600 US (SDLT).  And tapes cost $89 each.  You need to do a
lot of backups before tapes cost less than an IDE disk.  An IDE disk is so
much faster too.

The best price I could find for a 160Gig ultra 100 was $107 Hitachi
A Hitachi 160 Gig SATA disk is $113.

SDLT tapes cost $89 each (10 for $890)

I am sure you could get a quantity discount on tapes, but disk drives too.

Now we just need to be able to hot plug ultra 100 disk drives.
SATA hardware supports hot plug, but I read Linux does not support that yet.

I do want to be able to remove my backup and put it in the shelf.  A
business should have 2 copies where one goes off site.  I did have a power
supply fail in a way that it fried everything in the box.  I think line
voltage was send directly to the 12V or 5V line.  DVD drive, disk drive,
motherboard, RAM, video card, ... all gone.   So if my backups were on-line
with the same power supply as the main disk(s), all would have been lost.

Some people seem to think tape is better than disk.  Somehow since there is
no filesystem, so you can't delete a file by mistake.  So, fine, just use
the disk drive the same way.  Use cpio and output to /dev/hda or similar.
The only thing tapes have that is better than disk drives is the eof and eot
marks.  I can put 10-20 daily backups on the same tape and let the hardware
track the position of each backup.  With disk, you would need to count the
blocks used, and track the start and length of each.  Or you could use a
file system, but like I said, some people seem to think that has too much
risk.

Guy