RE: Good news / bad news - The joys of RAID - backups

hi ya gordon

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> But how valuable is your data? (As I keep telling my clients!!!)

that's why all my data is stored on 3 or 5 servers :-)

personally, i trust disks more than i trust tapes
and i want the "backup" to be live, just in case,
and most likely, there is not time to restore from tapes
and/or worst, lost/misplaced tapes because someone forgot
to rotate it

tapes are great for offsite archive, where no one will look at
again for years ... until the lawyers want to see it

> RAID is great, but it's not for archive and backup.

raid is great for archives and backup ..

- give disk1 to the CEO
- give disk2 to the CFO
- give disk3 to the CTO
- give disk4 to the COO
- give disk5 to the local disk jockey

no one person can reconstruct sensitive data :-)

c ya
alvin
http://ITX-Blades.net ..... 15TB per 4U chassis ...

-