Re: Good news / bad news - The joys of RAID

Mark Hahn wrote:

Never buy Maxtor drives again!

you imply that Maxtor drives are somehow inherently flawed. can you explain why you think millions of people/companies are naive idiots for continuing to buy Maxtor disks?

this sort of thing is just not plausible: Maxtor competes with the other top-tier disk vendors with similar products and prices and reliability. yes, if you buy a 1-year disk,
you can expect it to have been less carefully tested, possibly
be of lower-end design and reliability, and to have been handle
more poorly by the supply chain. thankfully, you don't have to buy 1-year disks any more.

read the specs. make sure your supply chain knows how to handle disks. make sure your disks are mounted correctly,
both mechanically and with enough airflow. use raid and some form of archiving/backups. don't get hung up on which of the 4-5 top-tier vendors makes your disk.

Yeah, you're right.
Of course - the fact that 2 of *my* 6 Maxtor 250Gb SATA drives (3 year warranty) date stamped at various times in 2004 have failed is coincidence and should, of course, be expected with a MTBF of millions of hours.

Oh, please note I'm not Robin - that must be a coincidence too :)

Personally I'm waiting for the revelation that they are recycled IBM Deskstar 70's ;)

I take your point about supply chain though - anything that's shipped by courier is suspect.

David