RE: Good news / bad news - The joys of RAID

You said:
"anything that's shipped by courier is suspect."

Humm, the way the drives are packed you would have a hard time exceeding
300Gs.  Even UPS can't do that I bet.  But I must admit, I have no idea what
force a drive would "feel" in a 4 foot drop.  Remember, the drive is packed
very well!  Also, they only refer to 2 ms.  So, no idea if that is equal to
150 Gs for 4ms.  Or 75 Gs for 8ms.

>From a 300G Maxtor drive.

Reliability
- Shock Tolerance: 60Gs @ 2 ms half-sine pulse (Operating), 300Gs @ 2 ms
half-sine pulse (Non-operating)
- Data Error Rate: < 1 /10E15 bits read (Non-recoverable)
- MTBF: 1000000 Hours

Guy