Re: md: persistent (file-backed) bitmap

Hi Neil,

Neil Brown wrote:

 I would like to change the "RESYNC_MASK" bit to mean:
   At least one block in this chunk is out-of-sync.

OK

Then:
- When we read the bitmap from disk we set this bit and the
SHADOW_MASK, but leave the counter at zero.
- When we get a failed write, we set this bit, but still decrement
the counter.

  - When we are performing a resync, we periodically clear the bit on
    recently completed chunks.

I assume that this also means that the counter will get incremented before each read-for-resync is submitted. Perhaps you've already considered that?

  - We only clear the SHADOW_MASK and on-disk bit when the counter
    hits zero *and* this bit is clear.

 I would find this approach a lot easier to understand.  Are you OK
 with it?

It sounds reasonable. Probably a little simpler too...

 Also, I would like to move the bitmap_testbit in md_do_sync down into
 the personality.  This should make life easier for other
 personalities like raid10 which use a very different approach for
 resync than for recovery.

OK, that sounds fine.

--
Paul