Re: Software RAID-0 striping over Hardware RAID-5

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 at 9:49am, AndyLiebman@xxxxxxx wrote

> Have you ever tested your systems while one of your RAID5 arrays is
> rebuilding or verifying? (I'm about to do that right now). I'm wondering if Linux
> Software RAID-0 might falter if one of the two arrays is significantly slower than
> the other (while rebuilding)?

I've had arrays under normal (sporadically heavy) usage during a rebuild,
and there wasn't a problem.

> My inclination is to not use a hot spare. Instead, I rely on 3ware's email
> notification feature to alert me that a drive needs to be replaced. I always
> keep a spare handy that can be popped into place immediately. Also, I want to
> have control over when rebuilding takes place. It would be a bad thing to rebuild
> during certain critical high I/O moments of the day -- whereas rebuilding at
> night would be much less stressful on the system. Do you see anything wrong
> with this approach?

Yes -- it requires you to be on call 24x7 for maximum protection.  And
even then the level of protection is less than with a hot spare, given
that it will take you time to get from whereever you are to whereever the
server is.  Also, disks can sometimes have a tendency to go in quick
succession.  I would *strongly* recommend a hot spare.

Remember, you're cutting your reliability in half by striping the two
arrays.  Why not maximally protect those individual arrays?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering