Re: Software RAID-0 striping over Hardware RAID-5

jlb17@xxxxxxxx writes:

> I have a couple of dual 3ware boxes I do this with, and have never had a
> problem.  I would make sure that you have a hot spare on your RAID5
> arrays, though.  Because if one of them dies, you'll obviously lose
> everything on both arrays.

Thanks for the reply, Joshua.

Have you ever tested your systems while one of your RAID5 arrays is
rebuilding or verifying? (I'm about to do that right now). I'm wondering if Linux
Software RAID-0 might falter if one of the two arrays is significantly slower than
the other (while rebuilding)?

To test the integrity of the system, I'm going to remove a drive from one of
the RAID5 arrays, add it back and rebuild the array, and while the rebuilding
is taking place I'm going to run Bonnie++ several times (100GB of
writing/reading per test).

My inclination is to not use a hot spare. Instead, I rely on 3ware's email
notification feature to alert me that a drive needs to be replaced. I always
keep a spare handy that can be popped into place immediately. Also, I want to
have control over when rebuilding takes place. It would be a bad thing to rebuild
during certain critical high I/O moments of the day -- whereas rebuilding at
night would be much less stressful on the system. Do you see anything wrong
with this approach?

Thanks again,
Andy
-