Re: Hard drive Reliability?

    I've never bought Seagate. Seagate was horribly unreliable in earlier
times, 10 years ago, or so. I buy WD exclusively now because it is the only
IDE drive I can get a 3 year warranty on. I've never had the problems with
them that other people have expressed, but I don't hold high expectations,
either.
    I have read that the bearings used in current WD drives tend to wear
faster at higher operating temperatures. New fluid bearings are supposedly
less sensitive to this problem, though.
    In any case, it seems that IDE drives are designed as throwaway drives,
constructed as cheaply as possible. Servers generally use only SCSI. SCSI
drives in general are manufactured better because servers require it, and
customers are willing to pay for it. IDE equipment will not be manufactured
as well because the market is unwilling to pay the price premium for
quality. The market is too competetive in the desktop market. Most buyers
don't know about quality, and buy on price. Consequently, drive prices are
marginalized, and quality becomes of less importance.

-