Re: Hard drive Reliability?

On Thursday 20 May 2004 00:26, Guy wrote:
> >I would also concur.  I had a Western Digital that failed after 10
> >months.  Western Digital sent me another one that failed in exactly 10
> >months again.  I didn't want to send it in to get yet another piece of
> >WD junk.  So, lesson learned to stay away form WD drives; correct or not.
> >
> >Sevatio

> I had problems with Maxtor.  So, lesson learned to stay away form Maxtor
> drives; correct or not.
>
> My friend had problems with IBM.
>
> Who's left?  I like Seagate, for now.
>
> A few years ago HP and EMC were using Seagate drives in their big disk
> arrays.  I am sure they have stats and know which drives are good.

Hm, I somehow seriously doubt that, if and when you're talking about _brands_.
However, I strongly feel that certain _series_ are indeed better or worse
than others.  But that only helps big manufacturers; by the time we need to
buy a new drive the serie either doesn't exist anymore, is overhauled to
reduce cost, or has been transfered from plant Y in Taiwan to plant X in
China. (not that I imply anything by naming countries, they're examples)

The tricky part, especially for manufacturers, is that they only know after
the fact if they chose their drive brand / model wisely.  Only after a year
or so they can see how many returns they've had, and by that time it's too
late to change anything about it.

Maarten

--
Yes of course I'm sure it's the red cable. I guarante[^%!/+)F#0c|'NO CARRIER

-