RE: which is better: promise fasttrak-lite 100 or linux softwareraid?

Jeff --

One item regarding Linux vs Promise Drivers for the FastTrak ATA RAID cards
(both motherboard embedded and separate PCI cards) that has not yet been
brought up (unless I missed it in my zeal to avoid these damned Windoze Worm
emails) is:

Promise has a SuperSwap drive bay product that allows for real-time
hot-swapping of drive elements with hot-rebuild capability. The Promise
Drivers support this additional hardware, whereas the Linux Drivers do not
(so far as I can tell).

Now if you're using RAID for speed/performance only, then the Linux drivers
seem to be best, as they are much more flexible and efficient than the
Promise provided one(s) -- but whereas I wanted high availability and
reliability from my 200+ GB RAID-1 array, I chose to use the Promise drivers
with the SuperSwap 1000 removable drive trays. I have survived two separate
drive failures in the past 4 months and my system uptime is currently  245
days and counting.

As always, your mileage may vary... But I do hope you (or someone) finds
this information useful...

Best to you all!

Dan McAllister
IT4SOHO, LLC