which is better: promise fasttrak-lite 100 or linux software raid?

Greetings all. I have been trying to absorb as much information regarding Linux RAID as possible
in the last couple of days. A couple nights ago I came across a mailing list post which claimed
that the Promise Fasttrak-lite 100 onboard adapter actually does software RAID and not
hardware. Is that true? If so then my next question is would it be more beneficial to rely on
Linux' software RAID implementation instead of the onboard adapter? If anyone here has
experience with that adapter and Linux RAID could you please shed some light on this and
perhaps if you've done a comparison then let everyone know just what the performance
difference is like between the two? Thank you so much.

Sincerely,
Jeff Gray