Re: badblock handling

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Donghui Wen wrote:

> Hi,
>      I am running a server with Linux software-raid (3ware controller). But
> from time to time,
> a disk is kicked out by md. This will happen when 3ware card reports a
> unrecovered read error
> for a sector. But when I run raidhotadd, the disk can added back to raid
> with no problem.
>      So my questions are:
>         (1) Will md  kick out one disk if it find out ONE bad block?
>         (2) Is it possible to set up a threshold, only the amount of bad
> blocks pass this threshold,
>             the disk will be kicked out.
>         (3) Is it possible to remap the bad blocks to some spare blocks
> automatically on the fly?

I am not an expert on this and I am only guessing, so please someone
correct me if I say something wrong.

The md block device gets an error from the underneath scsi/ide/usb/firewire/
network layer. It does not tell exactly what type of error has occured,
the best thing for md to do is to kick out this device.

Holger

-