RE: badblock handling

I have had the same problems.  Once there is a bad block on the disk, you
can't read it.  However, if you overwrite the bad block with new data (or
the same data) the disk drive will relocate the bad block to a spare block.
Once relocated, the disk is good again.  This auto relocation of bad blocks
(or sectors) has been around since IDE disks.  Not sure all IDE disk, but
all that I know about.

What I think should happen is:
If Read error,
  re-create missing data,
  re-write the data to the "bad" disk.
  If write fails,
    fail the disk,
  else,
    go on with life.

In the past 2 years I have had to remove and re-add failed disks about 5-10
times.  I never had to replace a bad disk.

If something like the above could be implemented, it would save a lot of
effort.

Also, if the bad block table is almost full, then fail the drive regardless.
Maybe a threshold that can be set.  Like 90% full.

Guy