Re: mdadm: hot add failed ... lun0/part6: No space left on device

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 09:41:27PM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> >     # mdadm /dev/md1 --add /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part6
> >
> >   but I get:
> >
> >   mdadm: hot add failed for /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part6: No space left on device
> It means, as you guess lower down, that the partition you have
> provided appears to be too small to be used in the given array.
>
> This error should cause a message to appear in the kernel logs
> something like
>
>    md1: disk size XXX blocks < array size YYY
>
> You might finding it by
>    dmesg | grep 'disk size'
>
> or looking in some file in /var/log (depending on which distribution
> you use.  Debian puts it in /var/log/kern.log).

It's a pity the system was running on a rescue CD so when I had to reboot
(the client really needed to have it up soon) I lost the messages. I can
tell that I bypassed the problem swapping the position of the two HD (hda
and hdc). At that point both where seen in LBA mode and the partition could
be added... I that any usefull to help understand? Is there anything I
could/should have been done to avoid this behaviour?

Why hdc is so often seen not in LBA mode (BIOS set up correctly) until you
force it w/ fdisk while hda is always right?

Thanks for your help

sandro
*:-)

--