RE: how to turn down cpu usage of raid ?

Load and CPU usage are 2 different things, but somehow related.  What is the
CPU load during this time?

>From what I have seen, the RAID software md, whatever, uses almost no CPU.
So, I don't think it is a CPU issue.  Even with RAID5, the CPU load is very
low.  Even during a rebuild!

Use top to see cpu usage.
Use sar (man sar) for keeping a log of cpu load and a lot of other stuff.

"sar -d" to see disk usage.

Maybe you are swapping, this would be bad.  Add RAM if so.

I bet your 2 disks are the bottle neck.

If the RAID1 can be tuned, I don't know how.  But the first step is to
determine what the bottle neck is.