Re: striping and mirroring with only two disks

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 03:36:21PM -0600, Nathan Lewis wrote:
> Even if it were possible, your write performance would be TERRIBLE (imaging
> writing the chunks in order - 0, 1, 2, 3....  Your disk heads would be
> thrashing constantly).

Well, I am not sure that will be so. Most modern disks today have
buffers of 2 MB - 8 MB on the unit, and writes would thus be buffered
there, meaning that the drive would be striping.

> The RAID1 code already does read-balancing.  Not
> the same thing as striping, but certainly increases performance on reads,
> especially when more than one read is being done at a time.

Yes, striping is best when there is only one read or write in operation.
I think tho, that lonely sequential reads or writes are very common, even on servers.

> If you wanted to try it, I think you might be able to accomplish it with
> partitions.  Partition your two disks in half, so you have:
> disk1 a & b
> disk2 a & b
>
> Then mirror disk1a with disk2b (say as /dev/md0), and likewise mirror
> disk1b with disk2a (say as /dev/md1).  Then create a RAID0 array (/dev/md2)
> from those two mirrors (md0 and md1).
>
> You could also do it the other way:
> create two raid0 arrays (disk1a+disk2a=/dev/md0) (disk1b+disk2b=/dev/md1)
> then mirror them as /dev/md2.

I think that is a nice way to get what I was thinking of.
Nice in the way that it is already possible with existing code.
But will the mirroring work? Or, if one of the disks fails, can I be
sure that the other will have all the data, and that I can recreate
the combined md from the two parts?

Why has nobody thought of it before? All descriptions I have seen of
RAID0+1 says that it needs 4 disks.

Best regards
keld

-