Re: Adding Reed-Solomon Personality to MD, need help/advice

At 04:53 AM 1/31/2004, Neil Brown wrote:
I strongly agree with Peter.  Base your work on 2.6, not 2.4.  The
raid code is much cleaner in 2.6.

I'll take a look at 2.6 then and see what's different. It may not be possible for me to use 2.6 due to restrictions on the test machines I'll be using. I chose 2.4 because that's what was included in the distribution I'm using, it is what my professor is using on his machines, and it is the version covered by the Rubini book. It seemed like a logical choice. Where's the most comprehensive list of changes 2.4->2.6 dealing with block drivers and linux-raid?

Good.  md/raid uses the make_request_fn function, not the request_fn
function like most device drivers use.

I really appreciate the answers to my questions.

I too would be interest to see just how you would apply reed-solomon
encoding to RAID.

In short, it is a distributed storage mechanism for a small (~50) group of workstations with a central coordinating server. RS is needed for the high levels of redundancy possible.