Re: Please help with a special RAID 1 setup

On Jan 7, 12:16pm, Mircea Ciocan wrote:
} Subject: Please help with a special RAID 1 setup

>     Hello all,

Good morning to everyone on the list(s).

>     First excuse me for a looong message, but I've tryed to give as much
> relevant details as possible.
>
>     Please help me with this weird setup if it is possible and fesable:
>
>     I have this raid1 device, composed of two fibre channel devices
> mounted in RAID1, it works absolutely flawlessly.
> The resulted device is used for a lot of important data logging and the
> ideea is to hotattach a 3-rd device ot the same size, wait for
> syncronisation and after all of them are syncronised, stop the data
> logging process, wait for a while, issue a sync command and hot detach
> the 3-rd device restart de data logging and walk away with valid
> filesytem backup of the main arry to be used as separate data analysys
> source. I know that solution is somewhat cumberome but trust me this is
> needed as is.

I know that it adds complexity but it would seem that this solution
would benefit from using LVM with its snap-shotting capabilities.

If you need to walk away with the data, snap the filesystem, copy the
snap to a separate device/filesystem, release the snap and you are
done.  I believe that there is a utility floating around that will
force synchronization of the filesystem (ext[23]) if your desire is to
have a coherent filesystem image as well.

I suspect that in the long run you will have a more coherent log image
with less muss and fuss.

>        Mircea Ciocan

Good luck with the project.

}-- End of excerpt from Mircea Ciocan

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein, Ph.D.   Enjellic Systems Development, LLC.
4206 N. 19th Ave.           Specializing in information infra-structure
Fargo, ND  58102            development.
PH: 701-281-1686
FAX: 701-281-3949           EMAIL: greg@enjellic.com