Linux RAID - Moving array from one system to another

I'm attempting a full system upgrade and, after a couple of attempts and quick back-outs, I figured I would break down and ask.. I was unable to find anything via Google regarding this, so here goes:

Scenerio is:
o I have an older server running Linux Software RAID-5 across 5 disks that are all housed in an external case (including the root drive which is not part of the RAID-5 array)
o The server is running quite happily, but the OS (a RH 6.1 system that has been upgraded throught the years to RH 8) is in need of an upgrade.
o We obtained a 1U Dell with hardware raid which we loaded the OS on the root mirror.
o The 1U unit also has an onboard Adaptec SCSI card (outside of the megaraid card).
o We want to migrate over to the 1U server

What were were thinking was that we could shutdown the old server, disconnect the extrenal SCSI case, plug it in to the new server, and boot it with the hopes that the OS would recognize the RAID partition. Unfortunately, that did not happen. It did see the drives, but did not autodetect the RAID-5 array.

We tried mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sde1 /dev/sdf1. It appeared to work as we were able to mount the drive, but any access to the array resulted in the OS freezing as it marked all of the drives as failed.

With the new system, because of the arrangement, the drive letters all got re-adjusted compared to the old server.

Is there a way to do what I am looking for, or should I just move the case over to the new machine and re-create the RAID-5 array. Then, restore (from tape) the contents of the array? I'm pretty much at that point, but I just wanted to see if moving the array was even feasible. :)

-Rich

-