Re: Status of Promise drivers?

Daniel Brahneborg wrote:
On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 03:25:15PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Daniel Brahneborg wrote:

In short: First I went 100% scsi (except for / on hda) with sata_sil
and sata_via. This made my computer halt when I activated my second
network card (8139 + via-rhine or another 8139). Then I went 100% ide
with the via82cxxx and siimage drivers, which made the network cards
work.  Disks on the VIA interface worked fine for simple file systems
but failed when used for Raid. Disks on the Silicon Image interface
failed both.  It even got badblocks from the Ext2 suite to report tons
of failures.  Smartmontools has no complaints, so the disks as such
are ok.

I definitely recommend IDE siimage driver for Silicon Image SATA (though I will announce when my driver is fixed).

Not even the IDE driver handles raid correctly though, and the
badblocks thing was with that IDE driver.  Is there any debug information
I can provide you with, in order to help you fix this?

Not really, I mainly need free time :)

For VIA SATA, neither IDE nor libata program the chipset 100%, so I'm not surprised you're seeing failures. I'm working with VIA to get more details as we speak. They've been helpful so far. I would recommend sata_via over the generic IDE driver, but that's sorta a toss-up at present.

Good, I like companies that are helpful. What would you estimate
the time frame for working raid support to?  10 minutes? A week?
A month?  Kernel 2.8?

I would say "under a day"

Jeff