Re: BUG: Data corruption on Raid5 in Linux 2.6.0

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 04:47:55PM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> On Sunday December 28, daniel.com@wtnord.net wrote:
> > I have a Raid5 system of four 160GB SATA disks. The drives
> > themselves work fine, but when large files (a few hundred
> > megs) are written to the raid disks they get corrupted after
> > a random amount of data.  The kernel is Linus 2.6.0.
> >
> > Any hints you can give me to get this working is highly
> > appreciated.
>
> What file system?

XFS. I've tested a "cp a b; md5sum a b" on a 500MB file on both
the Raid disk as well as a normal partition on one of the disks,
and the latter works perfectly every time while the former fails
every time.

> Are you using DeviceMapper over the raid5?

Yes.

> If you are using DeviceMapper, can you try without it?
> (I don't think there is a proble with DeviceMapper, but it drives
> raid5 slightly differently to e.g. direct ext3 and could trigger a bug
> in raid5.)

I get the same problem without it, just a few more "dma_intr:
DriveReady SeekComplete Error" in the syslog.

There seems to be various opinions on whether to use the siimage
driver or the sata_sil driver with a Sil3112 SATA card.  For me
there isn't much choice though, since the sata_sil driver makes
my machine crash when I activate the second network card.

/Basic

-