Re: Firewire RAID bootparameters?

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 06:19:47AM -0500, Christer Backstrom wrote:
Yes, this is new information for me. I never considered (or knew how
to) manipulate the initrd loading. I got two more mails saying about
the same thing, but they weren't cc:ed to the list. (Thanks Joe Pruett
and David Haring) This would enable me to put even my root-filesystem
on the firewire drive. Very nice. In my case, as I only keep my /home
on the raid1 mirror, it was even simpler. I looked into the initrd man
page, and found  a reference to append "noinitrd" to lilo.conf, which
stops loading of modules by initrd altogether. The rc.sysinit will
then, in my case (Mandrake-9.2), load the modules in the right order. I
stiil wonder if the loading sequence should not be different when
and commonplace, and an excellent way of securing the regular
harddrive. Especially on a laptop, where the regular drives are small
and singular. To load the raid subsystem before these systems can't be
right. I wonder if i t should not be changed? Anyways: Me happy. Thanks
all for the help!

uhm, you should not need to modify the initrd scripts by hand to make it do what you need, (and mdk-9.2 initrd should not load raid modules if it does not need it to boot, but this i already fixed). having a correct scsi_hostadapter line in /etc/modules_conf should deal with loading the firewire module before, or you could use --preload <module> argument. i don't have firewire hw to test this, and i'll never buy an usb drive if i can avoid it :-) would you be willing to test the alternative mkinitrd/initscripts/mdadm packages i built for mandrake cooker and report success/failure on your configuration? they are found at: http://www.comedia.it/~bluca/cooker/lvm2/

Regards,
L.

-- Luca Berra -- bluca@comedia.it Communication Media & Services S.r.l. /"\ \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN X AGAINST HTML MAIL / \ - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-raid" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html