Re: XFS RAID only writing half the time

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:07:56AM -0500, AndyLiebman@aol.com wrote:
> A puzzle.
> I have a P4-3.06 with 1 GB RAM. I have hyperthreading enabled -- and Mandrake
> 9.2 (2.4.22 kernel) shows that I have 2 CPUs.

I've seen similar troubles with the SuSE kernels. I believe it has
something to do with some of the desktop/interactive patches that fills
up memory too much before flushing caches.

> Although data is coming into my Linux machine at a rate of 18 MB/sec, I don't
> see any disk activity for as much as 30 or 40 seconds after I begin recording
> video. Looking at XOSVIEW, I can see on the memory display that the cache
> fills up until my memory is almost entirely full, and ONLY THEN does the disk
> writing activity begin.
>
> Usually this is fine, but once in a while -- after capturing video for 20
> minutes or so, the system will have a "hiccup" and fail to write data fast
> enough. My video editing application will then stop capturing. I don'

Play with the settings of:
sysctl -a | grep vm.bdflush
vm.bdflush = 30 500     0       0       500     3000    60      20      0

I've found the right settings would alleviate this hiccup issue.

HEndrik
-