I'm Astounded by How Good Linux Software RAID IS!

I want to congratulate a lot of Linux Software Raid folks. Really. I just set
up a RAID 5 array on my Linux Machine (P4-3.06 Ghz -- Mandrake 9.2) using 5
External Firewire Drives.

The performance is SO GOOD that I am able to write uncompressed 8-bit video
files to my array through a Copper Gigabit network! That's a sustained 18
MB/sec -- going for 20 minutes straight.

Under Windows 2000 using Veritas Volume Manger's RAID 5, I was barely able to
sustain 4 MB/sec writing to the exact same drives -- even when I was writing
directly from the Win 2000 server and not going through my network (Reading,
however, was around 20 MB/sec). With Linux, I'm getting about 20 MB/sec through
my TCP/IP network! And the Linux box isn't even struggling. Wow.

I AM surprised by one thing, though. This is the second firewire array that I
have put on my Linux machine.

The first one was set up with 6 Firewire Drives that are bigger (200 GB
versus 120 GB) and that have larger onboard cache (8 MB versus 2 MB). I set up
those 6 drives as a RAID 10 array -- 3 mirrored pairs with a RAID 0 stripe on top
of that. The performance I was able to achieve with the RAID 10 array was
actually NO BETTER than what I am getting with RAID 5. Does that make sense?

Should I be getting better (or at least equal) performance with RAID 5
compared to RAID 10? Shouldn't RAID 10 be faster both reading and writing?

In both cases, I am using 128K chunk sizes, and the xfs filesystem with the
maximum allowable Linux block size (4096) and an INTERNAL logfile.

I would love to hear your comments.

Andy Liebman
-