Re: How safe is software RAID compared to how safe hardware RAID

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Kanoa Withington wrote:

> In a software RAID 1 array, each of the sub-volumes can be used just
> like a normal partition+file system outside of the array and the whole
> domain of software RAID, which is very nice for fault recovery. With a
> hardware controller this usually cannot be done, the data on the disks
> is useless without the controller.

Just as an aside, I've recently had to build several near identical
machines with a mirrored disk set (ie. s/w RAID1) and I used this feature
to "clone" the other boxes... ie. build one with 2 disks, make sure the
mirrors are syncd up, then take one drive out and use it to build a 2nd,
and a 3rd, etc.  each time putting in a blank 2nd disk and partitioning it
as before then letting the mirror re-sync...

I'm sure there may be easier ways, but this worked for me!

Gordon
-