Re: RAID 10 and Persistent Superblock

I have a 56-disk RAID10 and I have persistent superblocks on all of the
md devices.  I believe the RAID code is smart enough to know that a
superblock already exists and places a new superblock 'before' the other
one.

So the end of your disk should look like the following drawing:

-----------------------------------|
   DATA    |  RAID0SB  |   RAID1SB |
-----------------------------------|

When I created my RAID10 array, I believe that the superblocks were
created in this fashion.  Any RAID guru care to comment?

Regards,
Andy.

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 10:23, AndyLiebman@aol.com wrote:
> A "simple" question regarding RAID 10. When I make a RAID 0 on top of three
> RAID 1 arrays, should I use "persistent superblock = 1" in that top level
> array? Won't that confuse the RAID software by putting two different UUIDs on the
> drives -- one for the RAID 1 arrays and one for the RAID 0 array?
>
> As long as I have UUIDs for the three lower level RAID 1 arrays, I should be
> able to start those arrays with mdadm even if my device ids change.
>
> Then shouldn't I be able to start the top level array without a UUID -- just
> by referring to the mdX numbers? In other words, if md0, md1, md2 start, there
> shouldn't be any confusion about which are the correct devices to start up
> md3. Or am I missing something?
>
> Appreciate your answers.
>
> Andy Liebman
> -

Regards,
Andrew Rechenberg
Infrastructure Team, Sherman Financial Group
-