Re: Booting from a raid1 device ?

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 09:28:42AM +0100, Luca Berra wrote:
> Btw i recall reading somewhere that grub actually modifies the disk it
> is booting from if luser wants to change the kernel command line.
> I dunno if it is true or not, and i am too lazy to read the source. Can
> anyone confirm or deny that?

That was me.  It may not be true, because I haven't had time and a
a spare machine to verify.

The symptom that we see is that /boot/grub/stage2 sometimes becomes
desynchronized between the RAID1 partitions after a reboot.

Every night we compare file MD5 sums temporally (day-over-day) and
spatially (between "identically" configured machines).  In the
event that a file block is desynchronized, we will typically see
the MD5 oscillate between two values, depending on which drive MD
chose to populate the cache.  An MD resync of /boot cures the problem.

Since this only seems to occur with /boot/grub/stage2, I've ruled out
most other theories.  We reboot a machine so infrequently that I've only
seen this three times in more than a year, so I haven't been motivated
to track it down.

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky
-