Re: MD drivers problems on 2.4.x

Le Lundi 26 Mai 2003 02:24, Juri Haberland a écrit :
> Eric BENARD / Free <ebenard@free.fr> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to know what is the md driver status on 2.4.19 and 2.4.20
> > kernels ?
> > I ve got many problems with RAID 0 (/tmp), 1 (/, /usr/var) and 5 (/home)
> > using these kernels and 4 IDE drives with ext3 partitions. In the end
> > each time I lose all the data :-(
> > After many tests (RAM is OK, HD don't have badblocks), I think the
> > problems comes from the md layer.
> >
> > May a switch to 2.4.21-rc3 solve my problems ?
> >
> > Did anyone here already meet this problem ?
> >
> > Many thanks and best regards
>
> Sorry, no problems here. /, /home, swap and the other stuff all on RAID1
> and humming along.
> We need more data from you. What is failing in which way? Any error
> messages, kernel oopses?

in fact, I don't get to much error messages (or they were not reported to me
by the user of this PC).
I'm using a Promise PDC20277 IDE controler (with pseudo RAID functions but I'm
not using them).
4 Western Digital 120 GB with 8MB of cache are connected (Master/slave with
good cables) to it.
Power supply is sized large enough to support all the power consumption of the
system.

I was using 2.4.20 with Alan Cox's patches in order to add new IDE layer for
supporting this IDE controler.
Maybe the problem comes from IDE layer in these kernels with -ac patches ?

After high data trasnfers on the disks, file system corruption occurs.
Last time, a php script reported this error : failed: Input/output error (5).
The server was rebooted and never started again as filesystems were too much
corrupted.

Today, I'm going to setup it again with 2.4.21-rc3 and I'm going to do several
tests using Linux Test Project ( http://ltp.sourceforge.net/ ).
What are the tests you would advise me in order to stress as much as possible
the filesystems ?
I've noticed Cerberus could be a good test.

But if anyone already met this problem, I would be happy to hear any advice
;-)

Many thanks and best regards
Eric
-