RE: cluster RAID

On Sunday May 25, k@kaisung.com wrote:
> Hi Neil,
> 	I should probably elaborate a little more on my envisioned
> setup. I'd like to setup a RAID array using shared disks, then run LVM
> on top of the RAID array to carve out logical volumes. The logical
> volumes would be used by one node at a time (no data sharing). For both
> nodes to access the same LVM metadata, they must both activate the RAID
> array. It seemed like someone had done something similar here:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-raid&m=98834623209225&w=2
>
> Concerning the checksums, I was referring to the checksum output when I
> run mdadm --examine on a RAID disk. I thought that was a checksum of all
> the data blocks of the disk, but I guess not? So, basically the only
> time you can guarantee a RAID array is consistent is once it's been
> deactivated and the dirty flag cleared in the superblock?

It isn't clear what the auther of the refered mail is really doing,
but I stand by my position that this cannot work.

A raid array is not just a bunch of discs.  It is also a controller.
With Linux Soft raid, that controller is a computer running Linux.
In the case of hardware raid, it might be an embeded system on a board
somewhere.  But there is still a single controller.

It probably would not be impossible to arrange a soft RAID system
where separate controller (Linux systems) could co-operate and manage
separate parts of the array, but it would be a lot of work.

The checksum is the checksum of the superblock, not the whole array.
Yes.  Yoo can only guarantee consustency if the dirty flag is clear.

NeilBrown
-