Re: mdadm never notify, grub cause fault

On Friday May 16, Paul.Clements@SteelEye.com wrote:
> Juri Haberland wrote:
>
> > I also ran into this problem. I found the reason when I started mdadm
> > without '--daemonize': It tries to use '/usr/lib/sendmail' whereas most
> > recent distributions have sendmail (or it's replacement) in /usr/sbin.
> > So just create a link from /usr/sbin/sendmail to /usr/lib/sendmail and it
> > should work.
>
> I was wondering myself how mdadm sent e-mail...sounds like there might
> be a need for a new "MAILPROG" entry in mdadm.conf...

There is a compile-time option which I have just made more explicit in
the Makefile.
If you add:
   -DSendmail=\""/usr/sbin/sendmail -t"\"
to the CFLAGS line in the makefile you will change how mail is sent by
default.

If you want runtime configuration, I would rather just leave the
PROGRAM entry and you and write a script to do whatever you like.

I'm thinking of causing the "NewArray" alert to
 - be generate for all arrays at start time
 - contain an indication of whether the array is degraded
 - cause email to be sent if the array is degraded.

Thus you will get an alert of a failed drive when the mdadm --monitor
is started.

NeilBrown
-