Re: Veritas Volume Manager

Hi Jose,

I am assuming that this list is about linux raid and that the Veritas products are raid products on linux. I assume that this list is not restricted to discussions about free raid implementations. If I want marketing fluff I can get that from the Veritas site but I'm interested in why real people would use Veritas on linux or why not. So far it seems that the cons are lack of broad support for various linux kernels and cost (which is not on the web site) and the pro is a professional mature stable product. The current crop of free linux raid tools (MD and LVM) seem really primitive and inflexible and having experience with Veritas in a previous life on Solaris (where it's really expensive) I was wondering if the linux version was as good and whether people felt it was worth spending the money to get the Veritas features. Of course it's possible that Veritas is overkill for the seemingly limited capabilities and application of the current linux PC type systems and of course the Veritas stuff might not cover all the possible hardware configurations that are available for linux.

Thanks

John

Jose Luis Domingo Lopez wrote:

On Wednesday, 14 May 2003, at 10:19:25 -0700,