Re: I just trashed my RAID5 array - recovery possible?

* Paul Clements <Paul.Clements@SteelEye.com> [2003-03-20 16:40]:
> Wolfram Schlich wrote:
> >
> > * Ross Vandegrift <ross@willow.seitz.com> [2003-03-20 14:35]:
> > >
> > > That's a pretty huge amount of damage.  If fsck is able to fix it
> > > without trashing data, then it doesn't matter.  I missed how big your
> > > array was, but if you have the resources to make an image of the raw
> > > devices, I'd definately reccomend you do so:
> >
> > Unfortunately the array is 4x120G. I just don't have that space
> > anywhere else :-(( Anyway, do the *kinds* of errors show these are
> > 'critical' ones?
>
> Well, mostly looks like your free block and inode counts are wrong,
> which I believe fsck can correct fairly accurately. However, as Ross
> said, you have extensive corruption of your filesystem metadata, so the
> data very well could be corrupted too, but fsck isn't going to tell you
> about that...you'll just have to find out... :). If you can't make a
> backup of the disks, I guess you just have to give it a shot, anyway,
> right?

Right :-( Scary that such little 'differences' result in such big
problems. I think I will post to the ext3-users list as well.
Thanks for your reply!
--
Wolfram Schlich; Friedhofstr. 8, D-88069 Tettnang; +49-(0)178-SCHLICH
-