Re: Linux dpti driver in 2.4 kernel with Adaptec 2400A card

Oliver Elphick wrote:
I'm trying to install Debian Linux with kernel 2.4.20 on a machine with an
Adaptec 2400A RAID card with 3 40Gb IDE disks attached.
[snip]

dpti0: Trying to reset device
dpti0: Device reset not supported
dpti0: Bus reset: SCSI Bus 0: tid: 11
dpti0: Bus reset success.
scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after bus reset: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
SCSI disk error:  host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 30002
 I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
 I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 2
 I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
 unable to read partition table
I don't have your particular controller card (I've used the 2100S before, though) or anything else particular to your system, but since no one else has answered yet....

These messages say "cable problems" to me. It appears that you have it configured for RAID-5, so try asking the RAID BIOS to do a complete rebuild. This will force it to access all three disks intensely for a while. If it passes on that, forget my diagnosis. If it yells and screams while doing this rebuild, try using shorter cables, or step up to Teflon-insulated high-quality ones. Make sure you're using 80-pin cables and not 40-pin ones, too.

-