RAID 5 recover locks up with 2.4.20

Hi,

I have a 4 disk RAID 5 array. I upgraded to the 2.4.20 kernel and one of my disks went kaput (loose power connector). I fixed the disk and tried to rebuilt the raid but it locked up hard (no magic sys-req key, no oops, nothing!). So I rebooted and it locked up everytime it started the recovery process. So then I tried kernel 2.4.19-rc3 (my old faithful kernel) and it rebuilt just fine.

More details:
The 4 disks are connected to 2 promise chips. One is on a PCI card and is just a ATA-100 host adapter. The other is on the motherboard and is a raid adapter that I run in straight ATA host adapter mode. All the disks are masters. Here are the lines from lspci:

00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20276 IDE (rev 01)
00:09.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20267 (rev 02)

Before it locked up the second time it did a ext-3 journal recovery on the disk and that worked ok. I mention this because that shows the read/write path to the drives is at least partially working.

Since it locks up completely, I'm not sure how to debug any further. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks,
David

ps. I am not subscribed to the list so if you could cc me that would be great.
-