Re: recover short-time-power-failure of raid 5?

Am Mon, 2002-11-25 um 10.59 schrieb Neil Brown:
> On Monday November 25, krause@mogli-soft.de wrote:
> >
> > hello neilbrown,
> >
> > thanks a lot for your fast response!
> > i tried the command as you suggested but i am not sure if it really
> > worked, it seems that /dev/sdc2 is not yet used (but of course i may be
> > wrong! ;-) )
> >
> > what about disk /dev/sdc2 ? i have tried to access /dev/sdc1 (a small
> > ext2 partition) and the data there was correct, so it seems that the
> > disk is accessable and did not got damaged by the shot power failure.
> >
> > how can i get the third disk back into the raid system? or do i have to
> > backup all reconstructed data from the two disks and reinit the raid
> > from the start?
>
> mdadm -A --force
> will only 'force' into the array enough drives to make it work.  For
> your 3 drive raid5 array, it ony needs to force in 2 drives, so it
> takes the two most recent drives and uses them.  They will have all
> the data on them, but no redundancy.
>
> I suggest that after assembling the array, you 'fsck' the filesystem
> on md0 just to make sure that the data is fine and then simply hot-add
> the third device:
>   mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/sdc
>
> If fsck reports lots of error..... maybe try force the assmbly from a
> different pair of drives. e.g.
>    mdadm -A --force /dev/sda1 /dev/sdc2
>
> and then do the fsck.
>
> NeilBrown
hi again and sorry for the delayed answer, i had to work a few days
"on the road" and could not test your suggestion until some minutes ago!
and i worked exactly as you described! great! thanks a lot, thats real
cool!

what i did exactly (maybe someone else is interested):
(i snipped the output)

  [root@merlin root]# mdadm -A /dev/md0 --force /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
/dev/sdc2

  [root@merlin root]# fsck.ext3 -n /dev/md0

  [root@merlin root]# mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/sdc

and everything worked, all the data is back again!

well, except the fact, that now its a ext2 file system and not ext3, but
right now (till the current project is done in about two weeks) thats ok
for me, i can (must!) life without a journal file system.

thanks again for all your help!

   markus