Re: (no subject)

On Wednesday September 11, ejohnson@milleraa.com wrote:
> I installed Suse Linux Professional 8 on a HP Netserver LC3 PII/450.  An
> AHA-2940 UW Scsi host adapter with a AIC-78XX Scsi Protocol Chip/50 pin
> high density scsi-2 control.  I have a raid (3 drives) off the host
> adapter and a 80 gig scsi drive off the mother board. After launching
> yast2 the first raid has the following device: LD0 raid 5 34730R:
> device_name /dev/sda, vendor megaraid.  Disk two (80 gig drive) has LD1
> raid 0 70006R: device name /dev/sdb vendor the same as above.  There was
> no raidtab file so I created one with the following:

It sounds like you have hardware raid (megaraid) that presents the two
raid devices as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb so they look like scsi devices,
but are really raid arrays.
In this case, you don't need raidtab or mkraid at all.  These are for
'software' raid which is quite separate from hardware raid.

software raid:  Linux kernel does all raid management.
hardware raid: special card knows about raid and does lots of the work
		rest of work done in the driver for the card.

NeilBrown

-