Re: recovering after a /dev/sda failure on raid1

With regards to your message at 03:26 AM 8/5/02, Louis-David Mitterrand.
Where you stated:
><<snip>>
>FWIW the disk that is malfunctioning is a 3-month-old Fujitsu 15k 36G
>(MAM3367MP) which is an expensive server-grade disk. The reason I
>selected Fujitsu was because of reported quality problems on IBM disks
>and Fujitsu's good reputation on SCSI (their IDE line is bad however).
>I am looking for informed opinions on these disks and recommendations
>for future purchases. What are the most reliable SCSI disks out there?
>
>It must be: fast, affordable, reliable, (select any two ;-)
The Fujitsu disks have a track record of good reliability.
The IDE disk you mention were discontinued a year ago.
In our experiences Fujitsu disks have as low a failure rate as can be found.
Drives we have used with higher failure rates (SCSI) came from IBM and Seagate.
The best failure rate we have seen is from Hitachi.
In the case of Fujitsu, Hitachi, and Seagate the rates are very close.
Quantum/Maxtor SCSI are a bit worse.
IBM are substantially worse.
This is based on our DOA and in service SCSI disk failures over the past year.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice@harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3

2.3TB RAID5 NAS server - dual AthlonMP CPU, Linux, $10,995 CAD / $6850 USD

-