RAID 5 disk format for Promise SuperTrak Sx6000 (Linux)

Just as a standard disk has a standard format with MBR, partition
table, superblock, root directory et cetera; I assume that the disks
making up a RAID 5 array have a defined format covering the 'superblock',
striping, parity and so forth.

Is this standard for all RAID compliant/certified systems? Is it
defined by each vendor? Is the format/system used by Promise
published anywhere?

Owing to the the sequential ocurrence of a number of circumstances
each of which was distinctly unlikely. I have the job of trying to
read 120 GB of data from a 240 GB RAID 5 Array attached to
a Supertrak Sx6000 controller card. The software that handles
the raid is on the card's BIOS and so far as I know is proprietary.

I know that I need help because of the five disks making up the array
no fewer than three are recognised as 'free', that is, not part
of the array. I suspect that the data on these disks is fine, and
that the problem was a transient failure on one of the disks, followed
by a catastrophe. If I knew how, I would 'force' the controller to
use and resync those disks.

I suspect my job would be measurably easier and greatly eased if I could
use the standard Linux tools such as mkraid. See
which contains the highly optimistic suggestion:

	The problem was how to read using the Linux RAID 5 software,
	the data written by Mylex controller. I wrote a few test
	programs, and found that the Mylex AcceleRaid controller is
	using what Linux software RAID calls right-asymmetric parity
	algorithm (you will find the part of /etc/raidtab file I use,
	at the end of this mail), so I could read the data using Linux
	software RAID (mkraid --force --dangerous-no-resync /dev/md2).

Is there something similar for the Sx6000? How can I find out?

Ben.
-