Re: RAID 5 disk format for Promise SuperTrak Sx6000 (Linux)

Ben,

If I understand you correctly - you are trying to use
Linux RAID (which is a self contained software system),
to read the disk information written by the IBM/Mylex
controller (which is proprietary hardware RAID system
deveoped by IBM/Mylex), instead of using
IBM/Mylex controller - there is no easy way to do that,
unless you know the IBM/Mylex RAID firmware and data
structures. If you have firmware documents that IBM gives to
the OEMs, then you can start from reading the COD information
(In IBM term, "Configuration On Disk". This is like super block,
but has whole lots of things in it ) / understand how the Logical
drives are created / what connects to what. To access the data is
rather difficult without controller and firmware. I don't think you
can get the data by only know that logical drive is using RAID5
with right-asymmetric parity algorithm. Maybe most of the data in
the data area can be read correctly, but even if small number of
blocks been read wrongly, data lost will be pretty bad. This really
has nothing to do with Linux RAID software.

Maybe I don't really understand what you are trying to do.

-Wei