Re: Linux RAID bug?

With regards to your message at 02:24 AM 3/27/02, Friedrich Lobenstock.
Where you stated:
>The PSU came to my mind because I just got a quote for a PC server
>(dual AMD 1900, 430W PSU) and they told me that they certify this
>system for only 2 harddisk. So that's why I tought of the PSU because
>you've got 8 hdd's.
>
>--
>MfG / Regards
>Friedrich Lobenstock

That is one of the classic dual Athlon myths.

If you use a board with an AGP Pro video card, it can potentially use up to
115W of power.
As the Tyan S2462 Thunder board, and the ASUS A7M266-D boards both have an
AGP Pro slot, then you would need at least a 500W supply IF YOU ARE USING
AGP PRO.

If not, the motherboard requires a high end 300W supply, and then add what
you need beyond that for disks.
The other thing to watch out for in power supplies is what their behaviour
is set to do with high in rush current levels.
I have seen several power supplies that will happily power an array with 16
drives, but due to the high inrush level at startup, they may tend to shut
themselves off at startup.

I have run 16 of the Maxtor 160GB drives and a dual Athlon board for 3 days
on a 300W power supply. I do not recommend that anyone should do this, BTW,
it was just an experiment.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice@harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3

Ask me about the UP1500 Alpha - Full systems from $3,500!

-