Re: SW RAID6 ?

Ross Vandegrift wrote:
>>Yeah, especially since processors are so slow and expensive
>>nowadays.
>>
>>There are many people who don't need high data rates, but
>>value data integrity.
>
> Is there any case where RAID10 wouldn't provide better redundancy?

Of course. Raid6 would protect against ANY two disk failure, while you
CAN think of a two-disk failure where RAID10 goes belly-up. And it sure
is a good thing to KNOW you have 100% redundancy left when one disk
gives up.

On the other hand, a cleverly distributed RAID10 can guard against a
controller failure in a 2-controller setup ; a RAID6 of more than 4
disks can't unless you use a maximum of 2 disks per controller.

Of course you can also think of multi-disk failures up to half the total
number of disks which RAID10 would survive, but the point is, RAID6
-guarantees- protection against a two disk failure, something RAID10
can't, at the cost of only N+2 disks, not N*2. So I definitely see a
point in implementing RAID6.

The beauty of this idea is that you can extend it to guarantee
protection against any number of multi-disk failures you want. So if you
only have two controllers and want to protect against controller failure
as well as guarantee protection against a two-disk failure, there is no
other way than RAID6+ at N*2 disks.

Of course those parity stripes will load the processor some, but that
shouldn't be a problem on current hardware. Other than that, write
performance shouldn't be much worse than RAID10.

How about not adding a RAID6 driver, but extending the RAID5 driver some
to make the number of parity stripes a variable? I don't know how much
extension that would require - perhaps it would bog down the RAID5
driver too much in single stripe use, so we still might be better off
with a separate RAID6(+) driver. But it looks like most of the code
could simply be copied.

Marcel

-