Re: mdadm 0.7 shows identical information raid1 members of raid0

On Saturday March 9, derek@cynicism.com wrote:
> > > mdadm: No super block found on /dev/md/3 (Expected magic a92b4efc, got
> > > 77315132).
>
> After thinking about this, maybe it's worth it to have the error say:
>
> mdadm: No super block found on /dev/md/3 (Expected magic a92b4efc, got
> 77315132). Maybe you meant --detail?
>
> Or have -E try -D if this error is returned, while outputting some
> warning. It seems like it's going to be a common mistake.

Yes, it seems that this is a very real problem.  I'm not sure what the
best solution is though.

One idea I have had is to have a --query mode (of which --detail and
--examine are considered submodes).
  mdadm --query /dev/md1

would tell you briefly about the array that md1 is, and about any
array that md1 is part of, and would suggest --detail or --examine to
get more information.  Then the various documentation could highlight
--query in the hope that people would use it first.

NeilBrown
-