AW: perfomance on IDE-Raid

Hi Kristian,

> I've been using software RAID-1 for at least two years and
> just switched to RAID-5 for most of my servers.  I've always
> opted for software RAID because none of hardware IDE
> controllers seemed to have a way to tell if a
> drive had failed without the use of a windows program.  Does
> anyone have experience with the HighPoint or 3Ware IDE
> RAID controllers in a situation where a drive went bad?
> When your servers are 45 miles away in a cabinet,
> beeps and blinkin' lights don't help.  :)

Yes, happened to me (several times - IBM DTLA Drives) with 3ware
controllers. You run a monitoring daemon (3dmd) on the linux box, it'll
send you an email if anything strange happens. also, you can check the
status of your array via web browser. After replaceing the drive, use
either bios utility or the web interface to rebuild.

Bye, Martin

-