AW: perfomance on IDE-Raid

> I want to create an IDE-Raid with 4-6 drives using Raid 5. Therefor i
> want to buy a HW-Raidcontroller. The Adaptec ATA RAID 2400A EFIGS and
> the Promise SuperTrak SX6000 IDE Should fit my whishes.
> The only problem I have is that I couldn't find any benchmarks using
> Linux. Maybe some of you tested one of this Controllers and
> can tell me what he's thinking about the controller.
> Especially benchmarks would interest me.

While not linux-specific, the rewies on storeagereview.com are quite
informative, have a look at

http://storagereview.com/articles/200111/20011119Escalade7450_1.html for
a comparism of the newest 3ware controllers vs. Adaptec 2400A.

http://storagereview.com/articles/200110/20011031SX6000_1.html for
Promise SX6000 vs Adaptec vs. previous generation of 3ware cards.

the 3ware controllers have very good linux support (drivers included in
both 2.2 and 2.4 kernels), management/diagnostic tools available as
linux binaries with same functionality as windows.

Promise Supertrak also has linux drivers available but seems to be
trickier to get to run; I've recently seen a couple of error/problem
reports for recent kernels on the kernel mailing list. On the plus side:
alan cox has one of these cards so if there's trouble at least there's a
VERY knowledgeable person to ask :-)

I'm running a couple of 3ware cards under linux myself + one SX600 under
windows. since I haven't got the adaptec hard, I haven't looked at linux
support for this card, sorry.

Onle-line resume for card performance in raid5 mode: 3ware absolutely
blows the other cards away when it comes to streming write performance,
for everything else it's a pretty close tie with the adaptec often
slightly faster. promise comes in a bit slower, esp. under server-type
loads (multiple concurrent accesses).

Hope this helps, Martin
-