Re: 3ware cards and drive failures (was Re: perfomance on IDE-Raid)

This is from a friend who has a pretty extensive set of 3ware cards.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.
--- Begin Message ---
On 21 Feb 2002, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

Yeh, we have approx 10 machines with 3Ware 6800 controllers in them and
(unfortunately) a high drive failure rate due to using a flawed IBM drive.
The 3Ware cards are great when it comes to failures. They have a web
server and email notification to troubleshoot the drives and you can
rebuild them easily after replacement. I just recently rebuilt a RAID5
array which basically consisted of, shut down, replace failed drive, boot,
go into 3Ware BIOS and add new drive to array then exit. The only time
I've had pain with these cards is when the version of linux I want to put
on it has a kernel incompatible with the ones 3Ware supplies as loadable
kernel modules on their driver disks.

Chris

--- End Message ---