RAID-1, identical disks recognised differently

Hello All!

I'm supposed to set up a RAID-1 partition over two 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax
540X drives. The problem is that Linux (using Mandrake 8.1 distro)
identifies the # of cylinders/heads/sectors differently on both drives,
furthermore, differently from what the BIOS says.

I ignored it and changed /dev/hdc to match /dev/hda definitions with
fdisk, and put up the RAID. All went without complaints, until I rebooted
the system. Now the system reverted to the old (mis)identified cylinders
etc. for /dev/hdc, and complained about misaligned partition boundaries =>
not nice, esp. as I made a /dev/hdc1 partition of the same size as
/dev/hda1 (boot, non-raid) and moved /var there, which after the reboot
was gone...

Finally to the question: is there any way to get Linux to believe that the
disks really are identical, and if not, how much of a performance loss can
be expected from putting up RAID-1 (and RAID-0 for swap) on not totally
identical partitions?

Hope you can help me out, have a nice weekend,
    Mikael Johansson
    University of Helsinki
    Department of Chemistry
    mikael.johansson@helsinki.fi