Re: RAID-1, identical disks recognised differently

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Mikael Johansson wrote:

> Finally to the question: is there any way to get Linux to believe that the
> disks really are identical, and if not, how much of a performance loss can
> be expected from putting up RAID-1 (and RAID-0 for swap) on not totally
> identical partitions?

You can use the 'hdX=cylinders,heads,sectors' kernel parameter to make the
kernel see the second drive the way you want it to see (I use this a
lot) ie. identical to the first one.

I don't belleive any performance loss would result in using different
partitions.

And using RAID0 for swap is not quite reasonable - you don't gain any
performance boost as swap code already does IO balancing between two (or
more) swap partitions, if you set them to the same priority.

You could use RAID1 for swap for redundancy - if one of the disks fails,
the machine should survive (unfortunately, this is not quite true for IDE
as the low-level IDE driver is not up to it).

    D.

-